A Message From Your Chaperone

 We hear it all the time – travel is transformative. I’ve witnessed this many times traveling with students. Travel changes us. It broadens perspectives, creates relationships, develops empathy and expands the possible. But this week in Peru managed to exceed expectations and humble me all at once.

 I witnessed kids with skills contemplate their real world application.

 I witnessed kids consider their real purposes and passions – they discovered their spark. They are thinking well beyond just what makes money.

 I witnessed kids overcome fears and anxieties. They attempted foreign languages and new foods. They got their hands dirty picking potatoes at 12,500 feet in the Andes. They forgot their fear of failure. They showed real courage.

 They fell for the affections of dogs and cats and found comfort in homes far different from their own.

 They allowed, even welcomed, the love and nurturing of host parents with whom they could not share a language.

 They found new friends in Peru, but also in their own school.

 They fought through altitude and home sickness, jet lag, the sniffles and fatigue and explored, learned and grew.

 I am so proud and impressed with these young people. I didn’t know what I would think of travelling with middle schoolers; I had only traveled with high school upperclassmen. But I have been sold; I loved ‘em.

 I watched these students learn how they can make a difference in the world. I watched these students discover gifts with problem solving, learning, a magic touch with little kids, picking up a language, and bringing people together joyfully. I watched these students discover how they can change the world one small step at a time. 

 And they went to Machu Picchu.

Sincerely,

Mr Janda

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

We Have Arrived!

Some photos

Homestays!!